Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Altec 605A without a serial number?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Junior Hostboard Member Basplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 19th, 2017
    Posts
    14
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Altec 605A without a serial number?

    Being new to the Altec scene (and unable to find anything about it online) I'm wondering what the deal is with this driver I've got. It has some sort of number - starting with 601 instead of 391 - where you would normally find the serial, but no other numbers anywhere else. It's clearly an Altec, but I'm just wondering what the significance of this number is, and with there being no "391" anywhere.

    Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Basplin; March 1st, 2017 at 02:47 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member BillWojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2016
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Posts
    349
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 605A without a serial number?

    I can't help you with the serial numbers but I just love the looks of those duplex speakers. The main problem with the recommended enclosure is that it's an enclosure. Can't see it. I'd love to find a cheap one to serve as a shelf queen.

    BillWojo

  3. #3
    Junior Hostboard Member Basplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 19th, 2017
    Posts
    14
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 605A without a serial number?

    Quote Originally Posted by BillWojo View Post
    I can't help you with the serial numbers but I just love the looks of those duplex speakers. The main problem with the recommended enclosure is that it's an enclosure. Can't see it. I'd love to find a cheap one to serve as a shelf queen.

    BillWojo
    I know, right??? I was thinking the same thing tonight. I guess that just means that the enclosure has to be at least this beautiful!

    I just saw one of these on eBay with the cone ripped out go for damn near $200...

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 605A without a serial number?

    Thick plexiglass has been used as an open baffle [OB]...........

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 605A without a serial number?

    How was the serial number presented on 605As over the years?
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member magnarc's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7th, 2005
    Posts
    615
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 605A without a serial number?

    Generally 605As had no serial so to speak. Somewhere should be a 391xxx date code, but that 601111 number is in the same font.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.